Sol Star and Seth Bullock arrived in Deadwood in 1876 and built a hardware store on this site. The fire of 1894 swept down main street and destroyed the hardware store leaving the brick warehouse. Bullock, recognizing the city’s need for a legitimate hotel, built the present structure. The pink and white sandstone was quarried in nearby Boulder Canyon. The Grand Opening was held in April, 1896.
The Iron Horse Inn was originally constructed as a livestock feed store in 1893. This beautiful three story building was constructed using natural stone from the nearby Whitewood Quarry. In 1920, pioneer hotel owner “Chalk” Wagner purchased and converted the structure into the Wagner Hotel. The Wagner was a favorite of Deadwood socialites in the 20’s and 30’s, complete with elegant hotel rooms and a plush dining room serving fine food.
Hickok’s Hotel & Casino was constructed in 1899 as the Waite Block and originally housed the John C. Haines department store and the Great Eastern Coffee & Tea Co. on the main floor. Later department store tenants in the Waite Block included Montgomery Ward. Upper floors were reserved for smaller offices and apartments, including the offices of the Waite Block’s architect O.C. Jewett.